The State’s longest-serving prisoner is seeking extra time to appeal his unsuccessful High Court bid for two days temporary release per year.
English national John Shaw (73) has been in custody in Ireland since September 1976 when both he and another English man, Geoffrey Evans, were arrested for the abduction, rape, torture and murder of Elizabeth Plunkett (22), in Wicklow, and Mary Duffy (24), in Mayo, that year.
Shaw and Evans were both given life sentences at the Central Criminal Court on February 9, 1978.
Evans died in 2012 from an infection after spending more than three years in a vegetative state.
Over the years, Shaw’s case has been the subject of a number of reviews first by the Sentence Review Group and subsequently the Parole Board.
In April 2016, the Prison Review Committee noted Shaw was “very frustrated that he has never got a day out of prison in his 38 years in custody… He has no family in Ireland and has only received one family visit over the course of his sentence.”
The following June, a dynamic risk assessment of Shaw found him to be at a “high-level risk of re-offending”. Areas of particular concern to the assessors were “poor problem-solving skills; negative emotionality; deviant sexual preference; co-operation with supervision; significant social influences; hostility towards women; general social rejection; and lack of concern for others”.
In 2016, the Parole Board recommended Shaw remain in Arbour Hill prison to allow speedy access to medical treatment and that he be granted two days of escorted outings per year.
However, the justice minister did not support the recommendation for two days of escorted outings, which Shaw’s lawyers challenged in the High Court.
In a judgment delivered last March, Ms Justice Mary Faherty said she was satisfied that Shaw had been afforded the full panoply of fair procedures due to him.
She said the function of the Parole Board was to provide an advisory role to the Justice Minister in the exercise of the minister’s discretion. There was no suggestion that the Parole Board did not abide by the processes set in place in order for it to be in a position to assist the minister in the consideration of the management of Shaw’s sentence.
Ms Justice Faherty dismissed his application for judicial review.
Shaw lodged an appeal against the High Court judgment six months out of date. He is seeking an extension of time to appeal the High Court judgment, which lawyers for the State are opposing. February 4 was fixed yesterday as the date for the hearing of the application to extend time to appeal.